Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Final analysis...

My first thought is that the sun will rise tomorrow regardless of who wins. There will be no nuclear holocaust, stock market crash, or wild realignment of the world order. These are two of the worst candidates we have ever seen, and probably "hope" to ever see. But this doesn't mean that our Country cannot survive the next four years.

The irony is that Clinton hasn't necessarily ran a bad campaign. She raised huge amounts of money and has huge organizational advantages. Her problem is that she's just a bad candidate with little to offer other than a history of corruption, deceit, and a lust for power. She is fortunate to be running against probably the only candidate from the Republican Party she could beat. There is little more she has to offer, that she could possibly point back to if she were to lose. For her, she is what she is. Take it or leave it.

Trump has run an up and down campaign. At times, he was self destructive. At other times, he was disciplined and on point. His history and current habit of saying politically incorrect things about women, minorities, and pretty much everyone in between has been harmful in the same way that Hillary Clinton has been harmed by her past. He is also fortunate to be running against the only candidate from the Democratic Party who he could probably beat. If he were to lose, there will be much hand wringing about "what could have been" had he not engaged in a litany of events that seem to continuously stop him from gathering momentum. Had he not engaged the gold star family, had he prepped for the first debate, etc...

At this moment in time the major consensus is that this is Hillary's race to lose. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it, but if you stuck a gun to my head I would agree that she has to be a slight favorite right now. However, this morning you have some caveats being offered by people like Nate Silver who (like myself) see the large number of undecideds and those claiming to support Third Party candidates as an opportunity for the polling to be off by by at least a point or two. There is also an admission on the 538 blog that they will probably "miss some states" this year, suggesting a large lack of confidence in their projections. Apparently they are as uneasy as me.

Some of the conventional wisdom is puzzling to me. North Carolina is great example. This is a state that Romney won in 2012. Trump is leading slightly in the polls (according to RCP). In spite of almost no ground game, Trump is beating Romney's early voting numbers. In spite of a huge ground game, Clinton is trailing Obama early vote totals. Black vote (which is huge in North Carolina for Democrats) is significantly down in early voting. Under normal circumstances one might think that this bodes well for Trump.  Yet most everyone (including Silver and Sabato) has Clinton winning this state. I feel like I am "missing something" here. Like there is some inside information that everyone is privy to, that I just don't see.

Anyways, it's been an interesting Election season. Probably the most interesting in our lifetimes. I hope everyone enjoyed the analysis and spirited back and forth on the threads. Part of me is sad to think that as of tomorrow, this is all over (well maybe). The other part of me will be very relieved that this is "finally" over.



26 comments:

KD, Rich getting Richer , GOOD News said...

Trump Mid Day Stock Rally


Following up the Trump Stock Rally of yesterday.

Indy Voter said...

There was a Red Sox executive back in the 1980s, I think it was Haywood Sullivan, who infamously shrugged off losing one of his star players to free agency by saying "The sun will come up tomorrow, and I'll have lunch."

In 1988, Mike Dukakis showed up at his office the day after the election, pretending it was just another day at the office. People were stunned, and that action probably was the turning point for Massachusetts in deciding that Dukakis needed to be replaced.

If you supported the candidate who loses today, and especially if you passionately supported that person, tomorrow is not just another day. Take some time to just enjoy other aspects of life (and hopefully avoid the gloating of the winner's supporters).

wphamilton said...

When it's finally over? That's nice to think about, but I'm hoping no one gets a majority, and then it goes on for months more. Maybe longer if there is a Constitutional issue.

wphamilton said...

I thought it was the tank-helmet mushroom head image. Like the Dean Scream, and whipped Christie, there's no coming back from that.

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

Would you stop that fucking stupid rodent from controlling to keep his old racist post on top.

Since you blocked me I have to do it here.

Indy Voter said...

Probably a cumulative effect of lots of things. The answer to the Kitty Dukakis rape question hurt his standing in the Commonwealth too. I think it was his arrogance in thinking he could just resume control of Massachusetts like the previous 18 months hadn't happened that caused his welcome to wear out. There were real problems to be dealt with as the "Massachusetts Miracle" turned into the "Massachusetts Mirage", but nobody wanted to listen to him any more.

Myballs said...

There's a Stonybrook professor with a model that only missed the 2000 election since 1912, getting every other one correct. He say Trump wins.

Myballs said...

Huge working class turnout in MI so far. That bodes well for Trump.

I think he takes MI.

C.H. Truth said...

Not a ton of bravado coming from anywhere...

I generally expect Daily Kos and places to be hyping all of the big voter turnout numbers for Democratic areas. But nothing. Nothing from Drudge leaking any crazy exit polls (other than the one saying that 36% of Americans are basing their vote on "strong leadership". There is one story on Breibart about blue collar voters, but in the past that wasn't always good for the GOP.

This tells me that neither side is truly very exited about what is happening on the ground...

Anonymous said...

Roger Amick said...

Would you stop that fucking stupid rodent from controlling to keep his old racist post on top.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

help us understand what's racist about it.

where i come from the term 'asshole' crosses all boundaries - race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, young, old, etc..



"Since you blocked me I have to do it here."

here's a truckload of irony for you -

maybe he blocked you because you're an asshole.

see how this works roger?

Anonymous said...

This tells me that neither side is truly very exited about what is happening on the ground...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

or they are but are staying quiet so as not to suppress later day turnout.

C.H. Truth said...

Roger -

I repeatedly tried over and over to get you to stop spamming my FB messenger with political links. I asked you not to, over and over. I ignored them, and ignored them... for a while I even responded to every one of your links with a link regarding Pokemon Go to see if you got the hint. You just kept doing it over and over and over.

Eventually I simply had enough of it. Being someone's friend (even just on FB) means respecting their repeated requests to not do specific things.

As for the legacy blog? Maybe you can explain to me why you have the same post repeated four times?

Commonsense said...


Exit Poll: Clinton Bests Trump With Ground Game


No sure what this means. It's obvious that Clinton's people are contacting twice as many people as Trump but the overall numbers are so small I'm not sure it is significant.

If it is; advantage Clinton.

Honest, decent, truthful Rev. said...

"...she is what she is."

Ch said that of Clinton.

What she is was---

a Senator representing New York whose popularity was quite high when she left that office.

a Secretary of State whose popularity was quite high when he left that office.

Myballs said...

George w. Bush once had 91% approval too. So what.

Commonsense said...

Latino voters -- early exit:

Clinton 65%
Trump 27%

2012:
Obama 71%
Romney 27%

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

CH: Regarding FaceBook. the last thing I sent was the breaking news on the Comey letter "No Charges" Just as it hit the scene. I thought you would appreciate that, it was a big story. I probably did goof with you too much, sometimes you don't have much of a sense of humor. But if you unblock me, I won't send anything unless it's important instead of messing with you.

As to the Legendary blog. when I tried to get past that stupid picture that had nothing to say express hate, the kindle will make duplicates. I sometimes go off to do other things I don't clean it up right away. It's clean now.

As to his post that you have made kept him on top even though it's just a picture nothing written. The main reason I don't get it, he can't write above the third grade level. Either grammatically or intellectually, and you give him a space to spread hatred. He's one of the reasons readership is lower, because he doesn't stimulate discussion.

I could write better than he can now, when I was 12. I was reading and writing at the college level by about that time. He is pollution. nothing more.

I'm done.

Indy, I think Clinton will take North Carolina. Other wise, your gut feelings and mine are about the same.

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

CH, I may be getting some medical things in the next few weeks, and I do like to keep you up to speed. I know you care. Otherwise, unless there is breaking important news, or talk about something, unblock it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...




publicly begging someone to unblock you on facebook.

it doesn't get much more pathetic than that.






Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

Mr shoot them all, men, women and children, leave then to rot, is pathetic.

Fucking racist pile of shit.

Excuse my language folks, but racism drives me over the top.

Loretta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loretta said...

Just stop.

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

He said that Loretta. He doesn't dispute it, we all saw it. Why that racist ass is a poster, still makes me wonder wtf he's got on our host.

Indy Voter said...

Stop, Roger.

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

Clinton is on the road to take North Carolina.

Coldheartedtruth Teller said...

Florida is going to be by a hair, either way.